John Quincy Adams Birthplace
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Built by Samuel Belcher
10th great-grandfather of Linda Louise Presley
Presley Tree #5, Page 31
The house known as the John Quincy Adams birthplace was built by Samuel Belcher in 1663 and inhabited by his descendants until Deacon John Adams bought it in 1744.
John Adams inherited this home when his father died in 1761. Here he brought his bride Abigail Smith on October 25, 1764. It was in this house that Abigail gave birth on July 11, 1767, to their second child, John Quincy Adams, the future sixth president of the United States.During the American Revolutionary War, while John was distinguishing himself in Philadelphia as the delegate at the second Continental Congress with "the clearest head and the firmest heart", Abigail supervised the education of her children, took care of the farm, and served as an inspiration to her husband during this critical period of United States history.Abigail penned many of her famous letters to her husband from this farm at the foot of Penn's Hill, In 1779, John Adams drafted the Constitution of Massachusetts in his law office in the northeast corner room of this home. After drafting the Massachusetts Constitution, John Adams traveled to Europe and ultimately negotiated and signed the Treaty of Paris which concluded the American Revolutionary War. With peace secured, John and Abigail Adams would never again live in their Penn's Hill cottage, John Quincy Adams resided in his own birthplace during the summers of 1806 and 1808 with his wife Louisa Catherine and their three young sons.
The John Quincy Adams Birthplace is a historic house at 141 Franklin Street in Quincy, Massachusetts. It is the saltbox home in which the sixth United States President, John Quincy Adams, was born in 1767. The family lived in this home during the time John Adams helped found the United States with his work on the Declaration of Independence and the American Revolutionary War. His own birthplace is only 75 feet (23 m) away, on the same property. Both houses are National Historic Landmarks, and part of Adams National Historical Park, operated by the National Park Service.
The house is a 2 1⁄2 story wood frame saltbox style house, sheathed in wooden clapboards. There are two main rooms, one on either side of a central chimney, on each of the two floors, and there are two further rooms in the lean-to section on the first floor. The main facade is three bays wide with the entry in the center. The doorway is framed by pilasters and topped by an entablature and triangular pediment. A similarly-treated entrance is located at the southeast corner of the building.
The house was built in 1717, with the rear lean-to added later. This house was purchased in 1744 by Deacon John Adams, and was probably enlarged by him, adding the rooms on the other side of the chimney. He gave the house to his son, the future second president, in 1761. The younger John Adams moved into the house in 1764; it was around this time that the leanto was added, as well as the door trim and the secondary entrance.
John and Abigail Adams made the house their home until 1783, after which it was rented to tenants. John Quincy Adams purchased both this house and the neighboring birthplace of his father in 1803, and lived in this house from 1805 to 1807. The houses were rented to tenants until 1885, at which time much of the surrounding land was sold off. In 1895 Charles Francis Adams, Jr. authorized the Quincy Historical Society to use the house as its headquarters. The house was sold to the City of Quincy in 1940, which continued to rent it to the Historical Society.
On December 19, 1960, the birthplace was designated a National Historic Landmark. The border of the national historic landmark includes both houses and a park area. The two houses are now part of the Adams National Historical Park, and are operated by the National Park Service.
The elder Adams' later mansion, called Peacefield, is a few miles away, as are the graves of both presidents and their wives in the United First Parish Church. The Abigail Adams Cairn, atop a nearby hill from which Abigail and the 7-year old John Quincy Adams watched the Battle of Bunker Hill and the burning of Charlestown, is also of interest. All are open to the public.
In popular culture
The home was prominently portrayed during the first few episodes of John Adams, a 2008 American miniseries.
Old Lyme Congregational Church
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Architect Samuel Belcher
The Old Lyme Congregational Church is located in Old Lyme, Connecticut. The church is noted as a favorite subject of Old Lyme Art Colony painters. It is affiliated with the United Church of Christ.
The first Meeting House was built in 1665 and the first minister was Moses Noyes. New buildings were constructed in 1689 and in 1738. The present building was erected in 1816-7 by architect Samuel Belcher, Belcher also designed the John Sill and William Noyes houses on Lyme Street. The building was burnt down in a July 3, 1907 fire, then rebuilt with help from artists at the Old Lyme art colony in 1908-9.
Five other Congregational churches were built on essentially the same design in the Connecticut towns of Milford (1823), Cheshire (the 1827 First Congregational Church of Cheshire), Litchfield (the 1829 First Congregational Church of Litchfield), Southington (1830), and Guilford (the 1830 First Congregational Church of Guilford). All six churches have front porticos with four fluted columns, the doors of all six have the same dimensions, all six steeples are of the same design and are surmounted by weathervanes that appear to have been cast from one mold, and all six churches have twenty-over-twenty double-hung windows. The similarities suggest that some of the building elements may have been prefabricated.
The building was restored circa 2001 by volunteers, including architect Stephen Lloyd.
Impressionist Childe Hassam depicted the church in a series of three celebrated paintings from 1903 to 1906. One hangs in the Parrish Art Museum in Southampton, New York. Another is displayed in the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, New York. Hassam's paintings helped bring publicity to the Old Lyme art colony and helped tourism in the town. Other artists at the colony, including Charles Ebert and Everett Warner (in about 1911), also tried their hands at painting the church.
Church at Old Lyme, oil on canvas, Childe Hassam,1905. Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York